Friday, November 18, 2011

Teen Drinking


In my argument essay, I'm looking to use common knowledge along with articles regarding teen drinking to show why the law saying you must be 21 years or older is a necessary law. I will use articles providing evidence of teen health such as an article that shows that there is evidence showing irreversible brain and nerve damage for teens who drink excessively. There are also articles that I've looked at that look to show why teens under the age of 21 should be able to drink, but by disproving them and pointing out the holes in the logic presented it will make my argument stronger. An example of these articles is one that uses the well-known argument that if you should be able to fight in a war and take on responsibilities such as marriage than you should be able drink as well. These articles are will provide the necessary logic that I can use to produce an argument where I can use deductive reasoning to lay out why the age should be 21 years old. I can also use arguments talking about alcoholism and the link between drinking early and becoming an alcoholic to further enhance my argument. As for the thesis there are many points that I can use as the “common” point so I will say that many people believe because you are considered an adult you should be able to drink as the “common” viewpoint. For the strange viewpoint I will say that 21 is an acceptable age, not because of the law, but because of the evidence that I can use to support it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment